photo of guy

Prostate Test For Men’s Health

451

The recommended standard for prostate test is to have a physical exam that men understandably want to avoid called the DRE (digital rectal exam) and a simple blood test called the PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen).  The problem faced today is that these two standard tests have been demonstrated repeatedly to be an unreliable determination of the mortality risk of the disease.  Put another way, only 20 percent (or less) of men diagnosed with prostate cancer (CaP) die from it while the remaining 80 percent of men survive it.

Although this high survivability is considered a ‘positive’ feature of CaP, when you consider that most CaP surgeries lead to side effects like incontinence and erectile dysfunction, a diagnosis of a statistically beatable cancer leads many men to either omit the surgery or screening tests to begin with.  After all, why have a DRE and PSA screening test if the positive results are not reliable and will lead to a surgery that is not necessary but will likely cause physical damage? Physical damage that will affect a man’s health and quality of life in the long run.

Lately, the media has ‘run’ with this understandable concern and reported that Prostate Specific Antigen testing is not necessary or is too faulty to bother testing.  Although the data these views support are accurate, the conclusions are faulty.  It is true that the single PSA and DRE are poor indicators of CaP risk.  Neurologist could agree more with these statements.  However, at the same time, the utilization of the PSA is very important if utilized as part of a comprehensive aggregate approach to diagnose CaP.   As the new guidelines state, basic CaP screening with the two tests is valid but only when used in conjunction with other cancer risk analysis.  Therefore, if these testing’s are not optimal if used by themselves, and the testing for a potential cancer can lead to unnecessary surgery and side effects, then what are a man’s other screening options?  

How does a patient find a comprehensive aggregate approach?

There are numerous variables to consider whether a patient has and aggressive CaP or not without relying solely on a PSA or DRE.  One example is to ask the questions, if a prostate biopsy was conducted then what does it illustrate–only one core found or many?  What is the aggressiveness?  

Nevertheless, any patient discovered with an elevated PSA must be further evaluated.  However when the conventional physician states that prostate biopsy and/ or removal is the ‘only’ option then alternatives should be pursued.

Dr. Phranq Tamburri is a naturopathic physician specializing in men’s health with a sub-specialty in prostate cancer. In tandem to these fields, Dr. Tamburri treats male hormone deficiency, low energy, and sexual performance. To learn more or schedule an appointment visit www.longevitymedical.com

 

 

 

In this article